With today being Valentine’s Day, I thought we would revisit The Engineer’s Kitchen theme blogs we have posted previously. Today of all days, love is in the air, and many of you are most likely still trying to find that unique way to show your special someone that you care. What better way to think outside the box then making a delicious home made dessert for your loved one. Chocolate is often the theme of Valentine’s Day desserts, and we are going to stick with the norm for our special chocolate treat. Below is a fabulous recipe for decedent molten chocolate lava cake. This dessert is not only rich and delicious, but it is easy and quick to prepare. The basic recipe, shown below is easy to prepare and open for many tweaks and changes to suit anyone’s taste buds.
Unsweetened baking cocoa
6 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
Additional powdered sugar, if desired
Your favorite berry fruit for garish
- Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius). Grease bottoms and sides of 6 custard cups with shortening. Dust with cocoa. In a 2-quart saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool slightly after contents have melted.
- In a large bowl, beat whole eggs and egg yolks with a wire whisk until blended. Beat in 1 ½ cups powdered sugar. Beat in melted chocolate mixture and flour. Divide batter evenly among custard cups. Place cups on cookie sheet with sides.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until sides are set and centers are still soft. The tops will be puffed and cracked. Be sure to watch the oven closely, as you do not want to over cook the cakes. Once you have removed the cakes from the over, let stand for 3 minutes. Run a small knife along the sides of the cakes to loosen them from the edges of the dishes. Place a heatproof serving plate upside down over each cup, turn plate and cup over, and remove cup.
- Sprinkle additional powdered sugar if desired.
- Garnish with your favorite fruit, such as strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries.
Glew Engineering hopes everyone has a wonderful Valentine’s Day and enjoys their special treat.